Change Windows 7 Logon Screen Wallpaper

windows-7-wallpaper-app

So I wanted to change the wallpaper on my logon screen for Windows 7. I found some great articles online on how to do it. Then I decided to create a quick little app to make easier for me and anyone else to change it in the future.

It works around the limitations of Windows. For example Windows 7 only supports JPEGs, this tool supports many other formats including PNG, BMP, and TIFF.

It also gets around the Windows file size limit of 256 KB. It gets around this by compressing image and adjusting the size to fit the screen.

The interface is very simple, just a button to select the image you want to make into your wallpaper background, and another button to remove it.

You can download it here: Download

Comments

1. Anonymous says

any chance you’ll post the source code? Downloading an EXE is a bit scary. Perhaps packaging source and a build utility as opposed to just the executable.

• says

I understand your concern. One day I might do as you suggested and publish the source code.

In the meantime you might find peace of mind in knowing that it’s been downloaded thousands of times since I published it last year and no one has reported any problems.

If you want to be absolutely sure I suggest running an anti virus scan on it. If you don’t have anti virus software I suggest the free version of AVG anti virus.

Or you can use an online virus scanning tool like: https://www.virustotal.com/en/

Hope that’s helpful.

2. Anonymous says

This is awesome…I was having trouble getting my login wallpaper to show after going through the regisrty steps and this worked like a charm. I am going to favorite this site!!

3. Anonymous says

Due to the last site I visited, I’m not too sure about this one. I’m afraid (Like last time) the logon screen will just go black, but I want real proof, and I don’t have the money to spare for a test computer. Pictures, please?

4. Anonymous says

Anybody that is afraid… I scanned with AVG 2014, no viruses found. My Windows install has the most recent updates for the Pro version. It works like a charm and is dead simple. One button to select an image, and one button to reset. To see if it was changed, just press the windows key on your keyboard+L key and your desktop will lock. If anyone has any issues, I would recommend using it as an admin, although I ran it with a double click and it ran fine. Great work, simple yet awesome tool. Very appreciated.

5. Anonymous says

After an hour or so of fiddling and finding all the constraints to get a damned screen to load and display properly, then, only THEN do I find this page…….. typical.

The tool, however, works perfectly out of the box.

Sweet!

6. Anonymous says

Works perfectly. I used the techrepublic tutorial on how to change the login wallpaper, but couldn’t get around the size limitations. Thankfully, I read your comment and decided to use the app. It worked without a hitch.

Very cool app… thanks!

7. Anonymous says

Hell Yeah! Thx God I found this page and replaced default logon screen with X-mas one :) Thx Dude Sooo Much! Now I’m gonna send link to this site to my friends, coz I know that they’ll use it as well :) Thanks 4 IT ;)
    BTW… Greetings from Poland & Have a Merry X-mas and a Happy New Year!

8. Paradoxical says

Hello. When I choose a wallpaper I get an error message saying the path c/system32/oobe/background access denied. What to do?

• Luis Perez says

This sounds like a permission’s issue. The app needs access to that folder in order to be able to change the background image. If you don’t have the necessary permissions you might not be able to change your background. If you do have the right permissions you can try right clicking the app and choosing to run it as administrator.